Thursday, April 8, 2010

tick tock

For me, school is great.
I love it, I really do. I've always had a yearning for knowledge, though I didn't really enjoy the conventional methods of learning.

I always thought I knew what I wanted to do.
Fashion.
From grade 6 to grade 12 I was going into fashion.
Everyone knew me as the girl who drew clothes.
But never the fashionista. I've always preferred hoodies and jeans to anything risque.
I'm sure a shrink would love to dissect that as an attempt to blend in and not be noticed, but we can dive into the self-esteem issues later.

But when it came time to apply to Ryerson (my dream) I froze.
I didn't have a portfolio.
I didn't even know how to sew.
One sewing course, an ugly pair of pajama pants and an unfinished skirt later and I knew my way around a pattern at least.

It was enough to make me realize that perhaps it was time to find a different dream.
So there I was.
About to graduate and no career choice.
Because that's what it's all about right?!
Our whole existence here in North America is to go to school so you can get a job, which you will work at 5 days a week until you retire on a measly pension to survive on until you die.
Awesome.

So babies about to graduate into that wild and wonderful world of adulthood,
what will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment